Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what's this (email question)

From: James Fryman <jfryman.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 11:11:09 -0400

I'm pretty sure that by the time that this makes the list, it will be
answered, but my .02 anyway!

It is very easy to forge an address! Check out RFC 821.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html

The localhost could be spoofed simply by sending the
'HELO localhost'
before the e-mail. This is why the header showed 'Received from
"localhost'. One could make this header say anything, something stupid
like 'YourMamma.pwn3d', to 'mail1.microsoft.com' or 'smtp.paypal.com'...
designed specifically for phishing attacks.

The only SMTP commands that need to be defined are: (Straight from RFC)

MAIL <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>
RCPT <SP> TO:<forward-path> <CRLF>

After that, telling the SMTP server to begin receiving data for the
actual message, where any of the headers can be changed, including:

From:, To:, Subject:, Reply-To:, etc... the list goes on.

E-Mail is not the most secure medium around. A good place to learn more
about this would be by reading the RFC, as well as delving into some
scripting. I learned quite a bit about SMTP after doing some Perl
scripting using Net::SMTP. There are plenty of books and whitepapers out
there describing how SMTP works, and how open it really is.

Hope that helps!
- -James

- --
James D. Fryman