Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing linux webserver?

From: "Hamish Stanaway" <koremeltdown () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:13:06 +0000

Hi Aman,

I disagree to some point as to what you have stated below. I would post just as the original poster did. The reason that I personally would have done it as that securityfocus is one source of excellent, specialized information with relation to web server security and all other server security. Just because there is information available on google, does not mean that it should be the only revenue explored. Many people on this list have specialized skills with relation to web server security - reading the standard security docs for apache is only going to stop a very small group of security breaches - virus writers, script kiddies and hackers all know the limitations imposed by the standard security setup of the apache httpd daemon server, and linux web servers. It is therefore only logical that one would query this list to get the most up to date, specialized information to ensure that they are as secure as possible. A web server is an investment, and if you're like me I will go that extra mile for any investment I have. The only reason I personally didnt ask such a question is that I am still reading the old security docs for http & linux - the original poster just saved me time and effort by asking it for himself.. Thanks for that! So as a final statement, just "googling" the issue might not be the best response to the poster in this instance.

Kindest of regards,

Hamish Stanaway, Director
Absolute Web Hosting / -= KoRe WoRkS =- Internet Security
Auckland, New Zealand

http://www.webhosting.net.nz
http://www.buywebhosting.co.nz
http://www.koreworks.com