Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Scanning--more then one side to the argument

From: "Steve Fletcher" <safletcher () insightbb com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:18:15 -0600

I have a question regarding this.  Are you talking about doing an external
scan or an internal scan?  I assume an external, because an internal scan
should show a LOT of open ports.

I would say that any open port POTENTIALLY could be a security issue waiting
to happen, but common sense dictates that some ports must be open for
usability reasons.  Plus, if you're going to follow this line of thought,
the fact that the systems are connected to the Internet AT ALL poses a
potential risk.  Or, just being networked could be a risk.  Or, being
powered on poses a potential risk.

So, based on this, sure it COULD be a security risk waiting to happen, but
more information needs to be gathered to determine the true extent of the
risk.  And, it must be reevaluated at regular intervals to catch new issues
that might have come up since the last scan.  What is safe now might not be
6 months from now.

Hope this helps.

Steve Fletcher
MCSE (NT4/Win2k), MCSE: Security (Win2k), HP Master ASE, CCNA, Security+
safletcher () insightbb com