Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Career and Education Choice (another)

From: Zaven <zaven () sonic net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:33:11 -0800

Hi,
Your English is good. I can offer advice on a Computer Science degree since I'm just finishing mine. First, continue your C programming skills. Being proficient in C is still very important and will be a good start for learning other languages. Second, make sure your math skills are good. At my school (University of California, Santa Cruz) we are required to take up through multi variable calculus, linear algebra and differential equations, and probability theory. Math is especially helpful if you want to pursue scientific computing.

Good luck

Jeroen van der Rijst wrote:

Hello,

I know there's another thread but i prefer my own one :)

I want to get some skills in network/computer security/encryption and I want your advice which education I need.

I'm 16 years old, I know a bit of C and I'm learning to program in assemble (linux i486) I will finish ( the dutch
version of )highschool in one or two years..

Which ( Northern-American) university would be the best choice for me? Which education on that university?

And last but not least, what basic skills do I need to start a career in computerscience?

I do not want a highly paid job for security companies, I want a scientific job when I finished my education.

Yours sincely,

Jeroen van der Rijst

(hope my English is not that bad, I'm working hard on it)