Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NIDS

From: "Smith, Ryan" <Ryan.Smith () MWAA com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:08:30 -0400

Hi,

The following link is a gold mine on all things IDS (at least in my
opinion).
http://www.honeypots.net/ids/links

Hands down snort is probably the most famous intrusion detection system.
www.snort.org

As far as scenarios go, I think it is a good idea to place a sensor
before and directly behind your firewall.  This acts as a sanity check
on how well your firewall is doing.  Also if you have a dmz you
definetly want a ids sensor there because your dmz (in therory) should
not be initiating any type of connections.  And then lastly place a
sensor on your segments that you feel have critital resources (in my
case at work HIPAA data). These are just my two cents based on my
experiences in the field thus far.

Hth

Ryan Smith