Security Basics mailing list archives

Can we recover data from corrupted excel file

From: "Amit shrma" <sharmaamit () eml cc>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:51:10 +0530

Dear all,

*** Need Help ***

All of my xls files have been corrupted by w32.chir.b virus. Basically
what this virus do is stated just below.

" On the first day of each month, W32.Chir.B@mm attempts to overwrite
the first 4660 bytes of files that have .adc, r.db, .doc, and .xls
extensions in all folders and subfolders. " quoted at symantec.com.

Now whenever i open my xls files, im getting junk characters all over.
Is it possible to truncate those 4660 bytes that have been appended by
chir virus & in result obtain an excel file in some readable format ?

Im attaching an corrupted excel file for all you guys, this is of office
2000/xp format.

Pls suggest what to do.

Also to mention im using Symantec corporate edition 8.

The two files are uploaded & available at the link below :

1. http://www.savefile.com/files/4373139  (rm05-05l.xls)
2. http://www.savefile.com/files/1145870  (rm05-05n.xls)

These files are not virus & are not even affected with virus but they
are already corrupted by the virus mentioned above.

Thanks
Amit Sharma, CCNA
Center Head
I.T.