Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Mobile wireless users

From: ttate () ctscorp com
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 1:48:51 PM+0500

Do you have any pointers to training resources that cover these types of appropriate uses?
I found a quickie little Shockwave tutorial on a DISA cd-rom, but I would appreciate any pointers to more detailed
information.
Thanks.
<jblackley () sysmatrix net> wrote:
Regarding the company's liability - and the assertion that, if you can't enforce it with technology then you can't
enforce it - a response to both of these is:

While 'automated' enforcement (via technology) is very attractive in that we can set rules and use a tool to keep
people on the straight and narrow, the company also has a duty to educate users on the appropriate uses of technology.

When tools are not available to us, we do not have the option of simply throwing up our hands and saying, "Oh well, no
tools available so we must let users do as they please."

Instead, we have a duty to educate users of technology on the risks inherent in that technology. We try to do this via
policy and standards and we augment those with training courses that address - in this instance - exactly the risks
that the original post queried.