Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing communication channel (FTP) - Need Suggestions

From: "Staff Netelion" <security () netelion com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:54:24 -0500

Hi:
   You would take a look over scp. It can be used in
interactive/non-interactive mode to securely transfer files between hosts.
You will only need ssh.
scp sintax:
scp source destination
Suppose you need to copy foo.txt from server "cancun" to server "acapulco"
using "jsmith" user credentials (note about user credentials: if not
specified, current user credentials are used)

cancun$ scp foo.txt jsmith@acapulco:

sftp resembles closely ftp, so it works as its insecure counterpart, you
will ned ssh 2.0 at least.

if you are copying heavily ammounts of data between servers/hosts, maybe you
could try rsync, (warning: rsync is not secure by itself but can be easily
"tunneled" using ssh or stunnel).

Mysql: I have sucessfully "secured" mysql connections between two remote
servers by using stunnel, take a look at
http://www.stunnel.org/examples/mysql.html

Regards

Javier