Security Basics mailing list archives

Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall

From: sl2ck3r j2ck <sl2ck3rj2ck () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:58:09 +0530

Hi,

I am trying to understand the security implications of using the
default Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall [ Not to be confused
with Windows Firewall which comes with SP2 ] .
I have read in many places that it is not a very secure firewall. And
using some 3rd party firewall like zonealarm is better. From what I
could understand was that was because of two main reasons.

1. It only blocks inbound connections
2. It does that by hiding the computer and not by actually blocking
the ports. Which would mean if some worm etc. was generating random
IPs it may actually be able to connect and exploit some service like
LSASS.

I am still trying to learn all this and would be thankful to anyone
who can clarify or confirm these two points to me.

sj