Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Packet analysis and protocol analysis

From: Kristine Amari <valthezeh () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:08:58 -0400

I learned the majority of what I know from the following two books:

Network Intrusion Detection by Stephen Northcutt
Intrusion Signatures and Analysis by Mark Cooper

Stephen Northcutt's book gave a pretty detailed description of how
packets are organized and how to interpret them, as well as explaining
how programs like Ethereal can help you analyze network traffic.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any good free tutorials off the top of
my head.  The focus of the above to books is obviously on picking out
attacks rather than deciphering everyday traffic; hope you find this
helpful.