Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Information on Linux passwords(all flavors of Linux)

From: "Rick Loran - SERVER4YOU, Inc." <rloran () server4you com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:07:29 +0300

In fact i don't remember seeing that info anywhere although maybe it is.

JFYI
chars: alfanumeric + punctuation + space + non latin
length: standard up to 128 (can be changed). The biggest one ever used
in my life was 8192 chars
min lenght: not defined but spurs a warning if under 5 chars (configurable)
complexity rules: normal i.e. asdf -> not good; asdlgj34576jk!#~fogh -> good
encryption: one way hash, usually something of the flavour of sha1 but
don't quote me on this. The older realisation was based on crypt (man
crypt) the salt is generated at install time but there was a way to
change it later (Am i correct in this?)

in one sentence: **** no, you cant find all this info in one place.
There are so many distros and *nix has everything configurable. So only
the sky is the limit.

shyaam () gmail com wrote:

Dear Group members/list,
I would like to know the place where I can find the linux password constraints for the various linux flavors. What I
mean is the details like number of key spaces or the key length, the types of charactors that can be used, the
restrictions and the number of times the password can be tried if not infinite, etc. I am in need of these details
very urgently, so please do help me on this topic.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Yours Sincerely,
R.S.Shyaam Sundhar

--
Rick Loran