Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pop before smtp ?

From: ChayoteMu <chayotemu () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:23:56 -0700

This isn't as much a security viewpoint, but from a tech support
standpoint. I worked for a web hosting company that was, by my guess,
about 70% personal sites and the rest commercial ones (even though
they yelled louder) and we used pop before smtp. One of the biggest
e-mail issues we had were people not recieving e-mail before sending
it and wanting to know what was going on. Where I work now we use SASL
and it makes things a good deal easier because we know that's the
issue if they cannot send e-mail, with pop before smtp we had to
troubleshoot for a bit before we could determine that. Also keep in
mind if you make changes the average customer (at least by what I've
seen) won't notice until things break, then they'll be mad at you
(well the tech on the line) that it's broken. I've been a phone monkey
for a year and have to mention that. I do like the idea of using
either one and sending e-mails to the customers letting them know
you're switching to one of them in X amount of time, that way if they
don't the tech can feel better by telling the customer how many
e-mails were sent with explicit directions. :-D