Security Basics mailing list archives

Microsoft Exchange and a content filtering conundrum

From: Pranav Lal <pranav.lal () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:52:26 +0530

Hi all,

I have been tasked by a customer to find a content filter that does not allow the filter administrator to view the message body of the messages that the content filter catches. One such product is Clearswift's MimeSweaper. (www.clearswift.com) You can assign several roles to a user. So, there would be a super user who would be able to administer everything but the day-to-day work would be done by a restricted user. This product runs only on SMTP.

The customer has Microsoft Exchange 2003. Is there any way to interface MimeSweaper with exchange? Clearswift does have an Exchange MimeSweaper but that product does not allow for the role based segregation of user permissions. The customer wants all messages whether they be internal that is on the same exchange domain or external that is going to different domains filtered in the content filter. I see no way of accomplishing this. Yes, for messages going outside via SMTP, I can use SMTP MimeSweaper but what about internal messages?

Can I route all exchange mail via some kind of SMTP relay so that SMTP mimesweaper catches it?
Note:
I have already discussed this with ClearSwift support and they say that the SMTP MimeSweaper is the only product that has this functionality.

I can recommend other content filters but I have not found any suitable product.

Pranav

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.