Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Country to IP range list

From: Erik Norgaard <norgaard () locolomo org>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:01:05 +0100

Kevin Barzdaitis wrote:

I have a situation here where specific services shall be offered ONLY to
specific countries. I think of blocking all IP addresses (on the firewall)
for specific servers and allowing only IP ranges by Country. I was wondering
if there exists publicly available list of "Country to IP ranges". I was
only able to find "IP to Country" mappings, but i need to check every
address specifically.

RIPE/LACNIC/APNIC/ARIN has lists published with the assignment of ip- ranges. From this you can pick out any country you like and get the corresponding ip-ranges - they are not assigned in nice chunks though.

You should be aware that this doesn't solve your whole problem, people can still connect through proxies, and some ranges are not assigned to countries but rather to organisations/purposes, eg. 24/8 to cable internet providers.

If interested, I have a perl script you can hack up, specify countries as command line options and it concattenates the corresponding ip-ranges to output the minimal number of lines. Only works for ipv4 though.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt