Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Virus Stats

From: "Anthony J. Cogan" <anthony.cogan () thinkunix com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:53:39 -0600

James,
You are running about the same as we are comparing employee differences... We have approx. 2,000 employees and our stats were:
4,064,002 emails received
3,199,220 blocked as SPAM
104,334 tagged as SPAM (Maybe false positives)
12,035 blocked Viruses
744,935 allowed as valid email.

James McGee wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if anyone would share their mailbound virus stats with the
list, (or me anyway)

I am working for an organisation at the moment who got 42,000 viruses
inbound and blocked in November and 103,000 in December. (see attachment)

I know this is probably small compared to some companies, but these guys
have 12,000 employees, so that works out at a ridiculous number of viruses
per employee (if you work it out that way)

Is this normal?
The reason I ask is that the SPAM for December was actually down on previous
months....

Thanks

JM