Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Newbie Hacker Tools

From: Corey LeBleu <coreylebleu () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:16:32 -0600

The free version of Nessus is for Unix-based platforms,  the full
Windows version costs money.  In order to learn more about hacking
somegood general books I would recommend are:

"The Hacker's Handbook: The Stratedy behind Breaking into and
Defending Networks" by Susan Young and Dave Aitel
An overview of how protocols work and can be manipulated..........not
necessarily on the tools, but on the theory, etc.  This is the book I
would first recommend to someone with a background in networking but
wants to understand security without just playing with a tools book.

"Network Security Assessment" by Chris McNab
Focuses on the tools and exploits used in performing an assessment

"Web Hacking" by Stuart McClure, Saumil Shah, and Shreeraj Shah
A very web programming centric book dealing with the vulnerabilities
found in various web applications.

I would also recommend the Hacking Exposed series.........although I
like "Network Security Assessment" better.  For more advanced books
check out "Network Intrusion Detection" and "Gray Hat Hacking: The
Ethical Hacker's Handbook".  Also Syngress has books on tools like
Nessus.  Also, http://packetstormsecurity.org is a great site with
lots of text files and exploits.