Security Basics mailing list archives

Threat prevention and pro-active open source monitoring

From: Chris Naegelin <naegelin () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:59:19 -0500

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any software products or
vendors that might do this sort of thing:

We want an intelligent agent or a group of agents to search and archive
various parts of the web / chat rooms / usenet groups based on specific
content which could be threatening to an organization. To be more precise:
A discussion initiates on a newsgroup about a possible vulnerability in
our software product or website. The agent happens to monitor this
newsgroup and detects the conversation as a potential threat and thus
creates a report.

I've seen this sort of thing being called "open source monitoring" and may
even fall under "brand protection" however if anyone can provide
additional information as to what products may help us accomplish this or
if any security vendors exists which already do this I'd appreciate it!

Regards,
Chris