Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Auditing of Samba activity and SOX

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:05:16 +0100

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:49:03PM +0930, Peter.McLarty () mincom com wrote:
Hi
I am having some discussions with a client about a solution to access
reports on a Unix server and our proposal is and has been in the past for
our customers  to use Samba to do this. Some of the trouble comes from the
big 4 consulting house which is there SOX auditor
This customer is balking  due to their organisation having to be SOX
compliant.
The complaint is that a user could view or edit a sensitive file /report
and as Samba has no capability to audit all the users activity and on the
face of it this is a somewhat valid argument.

Obviously other organisations are SOX compliant and using Samba so there
has to be a solution. My initial thought is to use Unix auditing  by
enabling the HP-UX trusted computing.

How have other organisations been able to meet SOX with Samba servers

Cheers

Peter

--
This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender and delete the transmission. The contents of this e-mail are the

Dear Peter,

while I don't know anything about SOX, I consider installing SAMBA to
not be a terribly good idea under any circumstance. It has far too many
flaws.

That being said, if you are really adamant about using it, there are
quite a few options to make it more secure: chroot() jail and the
extd_audit module come to mind (if you want to audit file access,
extd_audit is quite good; however, I'm not sure it will distinguish
between read-only and read-write access; it probably will if you crank
the log level up enough); coupled with proper file permissions, this
would make it pretty much impossible to do bad stuff without hacking the
server and/or appearing in the logs. Of course, some would say that
hacking is a real threat here. *I* would never put SAMBA on any server
if it can be helped (obviously, putting SAMBA on the office's fileserver
is one instance where this can't be helped - short of migrating
everything to AFS or something, at least).

Oh, and please fix your .sig - not only is this a public mailing list,
but it's also a whopping 340 columns long!

                        Joachim