Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Programming

From: Brian Gehrke <bjgehrke () sbcglobal net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:39:39 -0600

Ben,

The first question you should ask is not "what programming language do I want to learn" but "what do I want to do with the program that I am going to write". All of the languages mentioned have features that make them better for specific tasks then other languages. You wouldn't write a device driver with Perl, just as you wouldn't write a Web Application in Assembly Language. Learning programming to "increase my knowledge about security", is a very broad statement. Are you saying you want to learn how to write secure code, or are you saying you want to explore what mistakes programmers make the cause security holes in software? Maybe you really don't want to look into either one. Maybe you just want to have the ability to write scripts that can help you monitor the security of your computer/network. There are some fundamentals in programming that can translate across all languages, such as date structures, oo programing, patterns, etc. These, in my opinion, are best learned by programming in a compiled language such as C/C++ or Java. Scripting languages such as Perl and Python have their place, but they tend to cover up a lot of the details.
Just my random thoughts, take it as you will.

BG

dayz () planet nl wrote:

Hi,

I want to begin with learning programming to increase my knowledge about
security, but I don't know where to begin. Can someone tell me which
programming language is good to start with, and pherhaps what book
and/or online guides I should take a look at?
It would be nice that if I learn a programming language that it
shouldn't be much work to understand another one.

I am on Linux and Windows.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Ben