Security Basics mailing list archives

Need secure firewall for SOHO

From: "DAmbrosia, Jim" <Jim.DAmbrosia () montgomerycollege edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:47:12 -0500

To the group,

I have a colleague who has a SOHO network using ADSL.  He is using a standard Linksys router for his firewall, but has
reached a limit in the number of ports it can open and manage.  I don't have one on hand to check, but evidently the
Linksys only has ten slots to configure ports to be opened and he needs 12-15 or so.

Without a lot of money he wants to get a different firewall up and running that has more ports that it can manage.
I suggested the free version of zone alarm as the only free one I'm aware of; however it turns out that he wrote his
thesis on how you can crack zone alarm.

Looking for another much more secure solution?

Thanks,

Jim,