Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[4]: encryption algs

From: BoI base <postbase () mail ru>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:48:01 +0300

KC> It shows that crypt() takes the lower 7 bits of the plaintext to
KC> produce a 56bit key.
Now, it's clear for me.

KC> This produces the "13-letters state" as you put
KC> it.  So as far as taking the output from a normal implementation of
KC> DES and transforming it an output like that of crypt(), I'm not sure
KC> its possible.
I saw encoding table (such as base64) for crypt(). But I don't think,
that it's correct table.

I guess, that this scheme is scheme for crypt():
input -> some actions 1 -> DES -> some actions 2 -> output

a) input is password and salt.
b) some actions 1: preparing encryption string and DES key
c) DES: no comments
d) some actions 2: salt + encrypted strng (64 bit) encoded by base64-like
algorithm
e) output is 104-bit hash

I have a question about point b)
What is this preparing? For example, maybe encryption string looks
like salt+password and DES key "takes the lower 7 bits of the
plaintext to produce a 56bit key", where plaintext=salt+password.

Am I right?

I got sources for DES http://www.cr0.net:8040

Maybe you have implementations of b) and d) points?

--
Best regards, Xanders  mailto:postbase () mail ru