Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Strange found in apache error.log

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:33:38 -0500

kc () mikrobit pl wrote:
Hi I found something like this in my apapche error.log

[snip]

And when I look in /tmp I found those 2 perl scripts: bot9.txt and bnc.txt

After that I look here #ps ax
and I found 2 alien proccesses ..
How could they get and run that scripts ??

A cursory glance suggests phpBB.  Are you running that by chance?

bnc.txt[1] is a BNC, implemented in Perl.

bot9.txt[2] is also Perl, which is just what it sounds like -- a "bot" which connects to arcor.dal.net and joins "#pantaicrew". Server admins have been notified and, presumably, the channel was shutdown. Thanks to Arfie on DALnet for his assistance.

[1] http://www.jeremygaddis.com/files/bnc.txt
[2] http://www.jeremygaddis.com/files/bot9.txt

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN
http://www.jeremygaddis.com/

"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they're different."