Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Applying Group Policies to selective OUs...

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 03:24:42 -0500

G.Sivasubramanian wrote:
I would like to know whether we can apply Group Policy to selective OUs. =
I am not able to succeed in that. Can anyone help me on this regard.

Absolutely!

Start out by downloading the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx (requires XP SP1 or greater). This will replace the Group Policy Editor that you normally see when, in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, you right-click an OU, select Properties, then Group Policies.

In the GPMC, you can create your Group Policies just as you normally would. To apply your GPO's to specific OU's, however, you right-click the OU (in the GPMC snap-in) and select "Link". Do this once for each OU that you want to apply the GPO to.

Doing it this way means you can create your Group Policies once and apply them to only the OU's you want. You avoid having to "Block Inheritance" and the like.

The GPMC provides you with a lot more flexibility than the standard Group Policy Editor does. See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/gpmcinad.mspx for more information on the GPMC (the URL will probably wrap due to its length).

Hope this helps!
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN, Linux+, Network+
LinuxWiz Consulting

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus