Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re[2]: Finding web servers with nmap

From: "Burton Strauss" <Burton.Strauss () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 07:32:50 -0600

Well, you CAN use port 80 for anything - just because it's assigned to http
doesn't mean it HAS to be used that way.

If you read the nmap man page, -PS and -PA don't actually 'connect' to the
server, rather they work at the tcp/ip level by mucking around with the
3-way handshake.  So the difference could be that nmap is finding servers
which are using port 80, but don't actually have web servers there.

Or it could be that the extras are web servers responding in a way that
wotweb just doesn't understand.  I don't know - Robin doesn't really say
what his program is looking for in the wotweb readme.

The next step would be to use a program such as Microsoft's Fiddler (or
Aman's webbug - http://www.cyberspyder.com/webbug.html) to see what the
response to a normal http get is from one of the mystery hosts.

-----Burton

PS: I've BCCed Robin on this - that way he'll know we are saying nice things
about his program!