Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Forcing Firefox Image Load Block List to client computers.

From: Cornel Diaconu <cornel () vigra ro>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:26:07 +0200

Saqib Ali wrote:

Hello all,

I have compiled a list (
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/?action=viewtopic&id=169 ) of Ad sites
that need to be blocked to on Mozilla Firefox for our users.

I was wondering if there is a easy to force this list down to all
client computers that are running Mozilla Firefox. Or better if there
a way to configure Mozilla to retrieve the updated list from the URL
on a daily basis.

The list is available at:
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/?action=viewtopic&id=169

Let me know if you have any addition to the list. I am trying to block
all advertisers.

There is another (better ?) way to block ad-sites, just the way you want to do ! Visit this site : http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html (Mike Skallas' ad block hosts file) You can download his <<hosts>> file from there and copy it over your existing hosts file, or if you want to preserve it, merge it with your <<hosts>> file. He (Mike) compiled hundreds of ad sites (in fact there are over 1200 sites listed there !!!!), and his way of blocking them really works (I do that !! - I've even contributed with some sites in my country .RO !!) The idea is to fool any internet accessing program that certain sites have the IP = 127.0.0.1 (that is, your localhost).
This way, all programs will benefit of the list, not just Firefox...

This message and its contents have been scanned and certified for
transmission as being free from malicious code by <<eTrust Antivirus>>.