Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best IDS ?

From: Dean Davis <dean.davis () mbg-inc com>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:47:29 -0500

I concur!

Management overhead isn't that high with Snort. Additionally, you will
learn a great deal more about the way networks move data at all levels
of the OSI model, and how to debug and author rule-sets to suit your
environment.

In my experience, even Cisco's 4200 series require significant knowledge
and administration skills to suit a given environment, and still lacks
many of Snort's features. I had the Cisco guys here at my shop sometime
earlier this year, and they both couldn't argue with me when I told them
that Snort is our corporate standard.

Also, take a look at sourcefire.com, the commercial arm that develops
snort-based solutions that require less overhead.

Snort is hands-down, the best!

Regards,