Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: packet sniffing help needed.

From: Mark Knowles <ghooti () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:24:13 +0000

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses.  It would seem that what i want to do,
cannot really be done without rooting a box somewhere along the line.

Passively sniffing packets would seem to be very hard.  MITM attack
would be easier. (although someone stated that passivly sniffing is
MITM behaviour...)

However, it would seem that there is a method that could potentially
give me access to the data without a sniffer.  It is based on DNS
_client_ poisoning, as apposed to server.

(remember that in my original mail the target was XP, Dial up, and the
goal was to sniff http traffic.)

This article in phrack covers it (thanks Mark).  I have been
attempting this for a couple of days and im still just getting my head
around predicting sequence numbers.

http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=62&a=3

Cheers

Mark.