Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: Micheal Cottingham <security () michealcottingham com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:01:18 -0400

I disagree. The point of an investigation is to obtain evidence. Only to obtain evidence. Furthermore, law enforcement would perform the exact same techniques to uncover the evidence, but by your definition, they too would be breaking the law. To add, law enforcement will not send an employee to prison without first obtaining evidence, then the motions of a trial must be followed. (indictment, hearing, sentencing, etc.). I do agree that legal advice needs to be sought after for a case like this, but in the end, someone, somewhere must investigate. The definition of prison is a sentence to incarceration for a period of 12 months or more. At most, you can be held in jail for 48 hours without an official charge.

I further disagree with your assessment that the "best thing to do is wipe the drive, and get on with the business that you are in." That negates the criminal justice system.

You further state that the company would be improperly handling an incident should they decide to investigate. As I said above, this is simply incorrect. Once again, this negates the point of the criminal justice system in the US, at least. If an investigation finds that the accused employee is not guilty, that's the end of that investigation. However, you cannot simply ignore an alleged illegal act. There are reasons these laws are in place, as well as company policies. If all you do wipe the drive without an investigation, on what grounds does a company have for internal action? That could be the start for a wrongful termination lawsuit. You need evidence to prove you have a valid reason for termination or other action against an employee, the whole reason for investigations.

Jason Coombs wrote:

Edmond,

You cannot 'investigate' viewing of child pornographic material without violating the very same laws that you are
informed may have been violated by the employee of your company who stands accused.

You must stop your work immediately. Do not begin your work if you have not already, and get your company to turn the
hard drive and other details over to the corporate attorney.

What you must understand is that certain persons have a legal obligation to report any finding of evidence of child
pornography, but that your company and its employees, in the employees' professional capacity, may not have an
obligation to report to law enforcement.

The company is typically allowed to simply wipe the hard drive of any computer that may have been used to view child
pornography, and take whatever internal disciplinary action it deems appropriate with respect to the accused employee.

Only your company's attorney can guide you properly, and you are completely wrong to want to investigate this yourself.

Your company's attorney should advise you that the best thing to do is wipe the drive, and get on with the business
that you are in.

If you report this to law enforcement, the employee WILL go to prison. Innocent or not.

If the employee goes to prison and is innocent, or is even accused publicly and is innocent, and eventually finds a way
to prove his innocence, your company will be sued. The employee will win the lawsuit. Your company may go out of
business over its improper handling of this incident.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this matter in more detail. This is an area of criminal computer
forensics with which I have much experience.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org