Security Basics mailing list archives

Power Users, AntiSpyware & CriticalUpdates

From: "arh" <arh () Mustangsurvival com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:29:43 -0700

Hi All,

I am working on a Win XP SP2 system to be used as a "Clone" for new systems, or replacement hard drives.  Our Corporate
Culture previously allowed everyone to be Local Admin; now everyone will be a "Power User".  I've worked as a Power
User for a week.  With "Run As" and/or RDC I can do all admin chores (so far ;)...

A couple of things about these Power User workstations:

Do we need a WUS or WSUS to deal with Microsoft Windows Critical Updates, or is there a better way?

We will have Spybot installed.  I also want to install Microsoft AntiSpyware, but it has so many poorly-worded, cryptic
"warnings", that we may not.  Is there any decent articles on controlling AntiSpyware alerts, or should we move on to
something like CounterSpy?

Thanks for any suggestions!