Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: "Jason Coombs" <jasonc () science org>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:48:01 +0000 GMT

Are you searching for evidence of child pornography?

If so, you need to stop your work right now. That kind of thing must be done with experienced help, because you can end
up being prosecuted for the same child pornography offenses that you are investigating.

Furthermore, you need a very solid understanding of the limits of computer forensics as far as gathering reliable
evidence, and you clearly do not have that understanding.

You have already drawn a number of invalid conclusions, such as that the use of privacy protection software equates to,
and is proof of, the user's efforts to conceal his illegal activities.

Are you aware that if the user had not used antispyware and anti-cookie software, that the computer would definitely be
filled with evidence that your examination could misinterpret or misrepresent to others in your report?

Those privacy and data sanitation programs are used to protect the user from harm as a result of YOUR MISTAKES. Those
programs also protect the user against harm caused by hidden third-party control over the computer, which may result in
illegal activities being present on the computer's hard drive despite the innocence of the computer user, just as much
as they are used for other reasons.

I would be happy to discuss these issues with you further, and offer you additional insight privately.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org