Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Best spyware program

From: Doug.Janelle () Thermo com
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:01:57 -0400

It's stating the obvious (or at least it *should* be obvious), but spyware
detection is incredibly subjective. Each vendor decides what will be on their
list and what won't (see the recent flap about what MS has taken *off* their
list). Run any two (or three or four) anti-spyware apps and they are likely to
come up with different results. IMHO, the best method is to run at least one
pre-infection product that monitors the registry, etc for suspicious changes
(like Spybot's Tea Timer, et. al) and at least two different, regularly updated
post-infection scanners. Trying to find a single app that will kill all spyware
is a fools' errand.

2-cents respectfully submitted by,

dcj2

I tried (M$ASW) this for a while - it told me I had no spyware. I have
tested this by going back to "Spyware Killer" which found 163 instances
and some fairly serious

Craig