Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Computer forensics to uncover illegal internet use

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () isecureu com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:11:04 -0400

Sounds like you do not have a lot of experience with this.  Remember...

The knowledge, integrity, and credibility of expert witnesses and
investigating police officers can be crucial to the outcome of a case.
Integrity and confidence in the process and the person may be the
determining factor in the success or failure of an investigation.

My advice is seeking the advice of a local computer forensic expert.

If you cannot:

1.      Start a chain of custody log on the system.
2.      Do not let anyone touch the system
3.      Make forensically sound copies of the H/D or H/Ds.
4.      Work only from those copies.
5.      You can find what you seek with tools such as EnCase or FTK.
6.      If you just need to recover Internet data, you may be able to
utilize Pasco, Galleta, and Rifiuti form Foundstone, even if they cleared
the history and deleted files.

You might want to post this on the forensics_at_securityfocus group.

Regards,

Dave Kleiman, CAS, CIFI, CISM, CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, MCSE

www.SecurityBreachResponse.com www.ComputerForensicInvestigations.com