Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Prevent use of Open Share

From: cc <cc () belfordhk com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:16:03 +0800

Alex Harasic Gil sighed and wrote::

So what you mean is to use a centralized File Server?

If your users need to share files, the most appropriate
thing is to use a centralized file server.  With that
many systems however, you'd be hard pressed to  keep
the file server folders organized.  So if you do
have a file server, you need to have it set up and
organized from the get go.  And make sure there is
a POLICY on the usage of the file server.  You
really don't want to be seeing MP3s on that system.

My company is no where near that size, but the
central file server is already cluttered with lots
of files.  I'm supposed to 'unclutter' the mess
and make sure sensitive information *isn't*
on the server.

Edmund