Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ping, ICMP and TCP Ping

From: Nikolai Alexandrov <voyager123bg () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:26:13 +0300

zaka rias wrote:

hi,

hello

Im learning protocol tcp/ip and icmp, and as far as i
know that Ping (software) is using ICMP protocol to
transmit packets and PING is identic with ICMP.

Ping program infact is using ICMP, ping and ICMP are two different things infact, ping is using particular types icmp packets - "echo-request" and "echo-reply"

I have always wrapped my thinking that ICMP (and Ping
Program) echo/reply was a port 0 thing (like someone
said in
http://forum.sans.org/discus/messages/78/10869.html?1110164175
), and that's wrong.
Yep.

Then i found something called TCP-PING. TCP PING can
be described as a TCP packet with the ACK flag set,
destined for port 80 of the target host (Mark
Wolfgang, Host Discovery With NMAP).

True, other methods also exist ;) look hping.org

i just wonder if this kind of method called TCP-PING,
when actually TCP-PING isnt using ICMP protocol, and
once more ->  TCP PING 's using port when actually
PING program is not using a port to communicate.

It is ping indeed, for the general purpose of pinging host is to determine whether it is alive. Tcp ping may work where icmp ping may not :)

i hope you understand my english

zak