Security Basics mailing list archives

Remote Access for Home Computers

From: nick_hunt () mascohq com
Date: 24 Aug 2005 01:19:02 -0000

Hello all

I have been getting asked a lot lately about the possibility of letting users access corporate resources with their
home computers via SSL VPN that has NAC features on it.  I keep on fighting it, mostly because I think it will cause a
lot of support calls, but more importantly because I am afraid of the possible vulnerabilities of allowing un-managed
machines access to our network.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any statistics or good articles on the letting users
access corporate data with their home machines.

The security implications that I am most worried about is:
1) worm propagation:  afraid infected machine will allow a worm onto our network.  Even though the SSL vpn does a check
to see if AV is running and def's are up to date, and also does not give an IP on our network, there is the possibility
of users uploading infected files to websites or network shares.
2) user copying confidential information to their home machines and then that information getting comprimised.  SSL vpn
has the funtionality to block copying of files down to the local machine but misconfigurations or vulnerabilities in
the VPN could allow for these controls to be subverted.
3) Machine that is infected with some type of bot getting on the VPN and launching a denial of service attack against
internal servers.

If anyone can give me more possible attacks, and more importantly any statistics on other companies that have done this
and had problems would help me with taking this argument to my management.

Thanks for the help
Nick