Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Transporting source code securely

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:34:48 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Bill Stout wrote:

Our developers occasionally debug at customers sites, and need to bring
about a Gig of proprietary source code with them.

I'd like to secure the media they take with them in case they lose it.

I don't want to add software to the debugged machine in order to access
and decrypt the media they bring.  Both PGP and WinZip require software
to be loaded, although PGP acts like a disk, WinZip requires extraction
to use encrypted files (not usable).

You can use www.truecrypt.org:

``Traveller Mode

 TrueCrypt can run in so-called `traveller' mode, which means that it
 does not have to be installed on the operating system under which it
 is run. However, there are two things to keep in mind:

 1) You need administrator privileges in order to able to run
    TrueCrypt in `travelle' mode.

 2) After examining the registry file, it may be possible to tell that
    TrueCrypt was run on a Windows system even if it is run in
    traveller mode.

 If you need to solve these problems, we recommend using BartPE for
 this purpose.''

Alternatively you can bring a laptop with whatever encryption you like
(TrueCrypt is good if you want Windows) and share its disk with your
target host thru network.

--
Regards,
ASK