Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: open source user audit software ??

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:45:13 +1000

How about we get the terms right.

Pen Testing, Vulnerability tests etc etc are NOT audits.

An audit is a systematic and scientifically determined repeatable
process designed to test an organisations controls.

Pen Testing is not. It is an attempt through whatever methodology to
penetrate a system.

Vulnerability testing is an attempt to map the major vulnerabilities
which effect a system

An audit trail is a documentary trail which may be used in an audit

Software which is automated can be an aide to an audit - but can not by
definition replace an audit.

Craig

PS
Nagging supplied for free. Not even 2 cents