Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Scanning--more then one side to the argument

From: "Steve" <securityfocus () delahunty com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:11:27 -0500

I know of hosting providers that filter ports properly, will not allow in
port scans, block pings, etc -- they block that at the border through their
security architecture.  So that would keep some attackers from knowing that
certain ports are actually open.  But of course the ports are truly open,
how else would one run a web server that you want the public to hit without
port 80 open?

STEVE