Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: block MSN Messenger

From: "Bruyere, Michel" <mbruyere () ezemcanada com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:36:41 -0400

I've done that but that'd not blocking new versions like 6.1 and 7.0.
I'll wrap up a bit I've done so far to block it since there is some time that this thread has been started.

1- The Policies to block Windows Messenger are applied
2- there is the name of all the versions exe in the "do not allow these programs to be run" policy --> renaming the EXE
or launching it from a CMD bypass this (M$ suck on this)
3- there is some hosts blocked on the firewall
baym-gw1.msgr.hotmail.com --> There is at least 50 of those!
rad.msn.com
gateway.messenger.hotmail.com

4- We can't block the software installation on all the stations since we have to use crappy software that requires to
be "local admins". We tried to using some policies like disabling the windows installer, but it's not doing any good.

From this point, is there something else I could try or I'll have to wait until I change my firewall for one that does
application filtering? (hopefully not!)

Thanks everyone!