Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HD memory wiper/shredder

From: "Jason Prespolis" <jprespol () neri org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:44:17 -0400

Clean the hard drive before dumping your PC

If you don't know much about computers, this might be easier than Step
2. There are several programs that write gibberish to the hard drive.
They promise that nobody will be able to find your files after the
software is utilized.

PC Inspector's (www.pcinspector.de) e-maxx meets U.S. military
standards.
Another good program is DriveScrubber ($29.95), from Iolo Technologies
(www.iolo.com).
If you have a Mac, try SuperScrubber (www.jiiva.com). It is $30, and
also meets military specs.

This process can be slow, because these programs write to the disk
repeatedly. You might want to run itovernight
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/issues/technology/security/clean_
the_hard_drive_before_dumping_your_pc.mspx

East-Tec Sanitizer offers best solution to safely erasing hard disks
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270_11-5217262.html

Active@ KillDisk
http://killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm