Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: block MSN Messenger

From: Kelly John Rose <mllists () ptbcanadian net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:11:35 -0400

The one time I had to do this, I just did exactly that, made it so it was impossible to reach the msn servers through the firewall proxy.

This site: http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/no_chat.html has some particularly interesting information how to block chat programs in general. Including covering proxies, etc.

I hope that's helpful,
.....Kelly John Rose.....

Bruyere, Michel wrote:

Hi, I would like to know the best way to block the MSN messenger
program. I used the policie that do not allow to run windows messenger
and it only works with the built in messenger. I would like to block ALL
versions.
I actually have few ideas, like null routing the msn servers or things
like that but I would like to know how you guys did it.
NB: if you have tips for others IM like yahoo or AIM, I'll take them too
;)

Thanks for your inputs