Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dynamically assign a computer in a VLAN

From: Oleksandr Darchuk <o.darchuk () wucb lviv net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:13:21 +0300

Mathieu RINCK wrote:

I know we can assign a computer to a VLAN with its mac address with VMPS. Can RADIUS or TACACS do the same, added with username/password authentication ?

Some time ago I've played with EAPoL on Nortel switches with RADIUS (FreeRADIUS). I don't use it now because of my own reasons, but it works like you ask: authorize user via RADIUS, then RADIUS return attribute Tunnel-Pvt-Group-ID -- it's number of VLAN. According to that attribute switch places port in VLAN. You don't need MAC address -- just username and password.
Hope it helps you.
Regards