Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VNC Security

From: "Steve Bostedor" <Steveb () tshore com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:07:48 -0400

Your plan is pretty typical and is pretty much what I advise to my clients.  Keep it off when it's not being used and
change the password often.  On secured local LANS, it's ok to leave it running 24/7 as long as the remote server has
the desktop locked or logged off.  This is the REalVNC, though.  I'm not sure the UltraVNC file transfer function is
still functional if the workstation is locked.  I'll have to try that and see.  If it is still functional, I'd suggest
not usng that on any server that you want to leave VNC running 24/7 on at all.