Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: login session transcript

From: "Alexandre Skyrme" <alexandre.skyrme () ciphersec com br>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:43:33 -0300

Greetings Jonathan,

Your best bet would probably be to use SUDO instead of giving the vendor
direct access to the root account. Using SUDO you'll not only be able to
restrict the vendor's privileges but also generate an audit trail of his
actions. Besides it would require the vendor to specify exacly what
privileges he would effectively need.

Altering the user's shell or similar controls could be easily detected and
circumvented by the vendor, in case he desired to do so. You must rely on
mechanisms which cannot be compromised by using the privileged root account.
Even a trusted sitter (auditor) besides the vendor would probably be more
adequate.

In case you'd rather stick with your solution, one tool that might help you
is ttyrec (http://namazu.org/~satoru/ttyrec).

Regards,
--
Alexandre Skyrme
Cipher - Segurança da Informação

Esta mensagem eletrônica pode conter informações privilegiadas e/ou
confidenciais, portanto fica o seu receptor notificado de que qualquer
disseminação, distribuição ou cópia não autorizada é estritamente proibida.
Se você recebeu esta mensagem indevidamente ou por engano, por favor,
informe este fato ao remetente e a apague de seu computador imediatamente.

This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information, therefore, the recipient is hereby notified that any
unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail message inappropriately or accidentally,
please notify the sender and delete it from your computer immediately.