Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: educating rDNS violators]

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:24:46 -0700

  At the point that you've got a HELO, the remote system has
ACK'd your SYN-ACK.  So, barring MITM attacks (which are
difficult to do on the open Internet), there's a > 99.9%
chance that the remote is reachable via the IP address you're
seeing.  Spoofing rDNS is no harder, and probably easier,
so I don't see any meaningful sense in which it "verifies
the IP address".

David Gillett