Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Win NT Permission question ?

From: "Robert McIntyre" <robert.mcintyre () earthmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:41:00 -0700

There is another way you can do this but it depends on want you are trying
to accomplish.

I am assuming the following:
1. user1 user2 and user3 are allowed to put files and folders in the details
folder.
2. user2 and user3 are allowed to put files and folders in the data folder.
3. only user3 has access to the info folder.

You can try this

C:\

-----detail\ (user1: RW; user2: RW; user3: RW; Creator Owner: Modify)

--------data\ (user1: None; user2: RW; user3: RW; Creator Owner: Modify)

    --------info\ (user1: None; user2: None; User3: Modify)

First of all the main difference between Modify and FC is that a person with
FC can change permissions on the files and folders.

What this does is allow user1, user2, and user3 to create a file or a folder
under the detail directory.  But they can only delete the files and folders
that they create.

In the data folder user2 and user3 can create files and folders but only
delete their own files or folders.

In the info folder only user3 can create or delete files and folders.