Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Port Scanning with Languard and nmap question

From: "Bruno G. San Alejo" <bgonzalez () polar es>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:54:20 +0200

Hi, maybe you should ask this question at the namp list cause there is a wide range of issues with the way nmap translates the results. Better to run it in very verbose mode and see what nmap says about the answers it gets. Don't merely trust the program, but have a look yourself. Even better, run Ethereal and check out the packets you get back from the target. Then you can interpret the results. Also read the paper: "The art of port scanning" at the insecure site. It'll give you some insight in how to dig out what's going on.

HTH. Later.

Carl Wilson wrote:

I scan network devices (such as network
copier/scanners) for open ports and services running
before allowing our users to permanently hook them to
the network. I use nmap 3.70 and Languard. My question
is why do I see different results when both are
configured to look for the same range of ports? (TCP
and UDP) Primarily, the UDP scan of the device returns
ports 53 (DNS), 69 (TFTP), 177 (xdmcp), and 445 (SMB).
Most all the time, Languard does not detect 53, 69,
and 177.
We had the local user run the scan directly connected
to the device and their results did not find 53, 69,
or 177 open. Any ideas why? Is there something in
scanning across a WAN which would cause these ports to
show as open? Thanks.

Carl

=====
Carl H. Wilson