Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Corporate Web based email - threats

From: Liran Cohen <theog () tehila gov il>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:35:29 +0200

It doesnt matter what you use , a simple keylogger or any other spyware for that matter will expose you're data and\or identity. now , it depends on the level of security you are interested in , if you require maximum security while accessing data remotely , I would recommend Roger's approach , with handing out a device (be it a laptop PDA etc...) to the users which are supposed to access the data remotely , use an encryption mechanism and a random identity verifier (OTP , PKI etc..) , anything less than that will have to be considered a security compromise.

Cheers
TheOg

Pavel wrote:

Hi all,

The access to corporate web mail services like OWA, iNotes or VPN SSL stuff is becoming increasingly popular. I saw many posts here about security measures for protecting Web server itself, filtering viruses and encrypting data in transit. However, few people address a problem of temporary content stored on client PCs and stolen session/credentials. Given that companies are looking for more mobility, the typical use of webmail services occurs on public PCs, kiosks and Internet cafés.
1. Temporary content. Some Web based email and VPN SSL clients have features to remove temporary files from the client
PCs. The tests we performed (iNotes and OWA) show that the cleaning is very poor and a lot files and attachements are
still sitting in the IE cache, Temp folder, Acrobat cache, different download managers like Mozilla or Reget/Getrigt
etc. The cleaning is ever worse on any PC that have non standard OS (Linux, Mac etc.) and browsers like Firefox, Opera
and so on.

2. Stolen session. Some vendors recommend to use SecurID tokens or stuff like that to prevent stealing users' credentials.
However, there is still a lot of possibility to penetrate user sessions starting from stolen session IDs thru a malicious email to
different sorts of "parent control" software (keylogger + file/clipboard/web pages sniffer + screenshots every 15 seconds
...). One never khows what is running on that regular public PC.

I would like to hear from you any ideas on how did you mitigate these risks and what was your reasonong to allow/disallow
the access to your company's webmail.

Thank you in advance

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html

--
Liran Cohen
Security and communication consultant.