Security Basics mailing list archives

IDS taps

From: "Carey Myers" <cmlist170 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:16:32 -0800

Tim,

I know of a few TAP outfits

NetOptics:
http://www.netoptics.com
I have some hands-on experience with these. Full duplex taps--splits data streams into RX and TX, meaning they have to be reassembled or monitored with two NICs. Their product may have evolved since we purchased ours. I deployed four of these for different data streams and piped them to a managed switch with a SPAN/monitor port for aggregation. This works fine for us for passive monitoring. Our network segments are all pretty low traffic. Cost for a 100mb copper TAP I believe was around $800 each.

Datacom Systems:
http://www.datacomsystems.com/
Not as familiar with these, but Google popped them up.

and

Critical Taps
http://www.criticaltap.com
Reputable brand, have multiple tap rack appliances but prices are premium.

I believe at least one of these companies permit multiple monitor ports on a single stream of data. I think they call them 'Regeneration Taps".

CM