Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Assessment Methodology

From: robert () dyadsecurity com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:58:20 -0700

Paul Ryan(pryan () rogers wave ca)@Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 02:40:53PM -0400:
I am in the process of doing an audit on various portions of our IT
infrastructure. I wanted to know everyone's opinions on what the preferred
metric system is. I've been researching OCTAVE - my objective is to provide
a report with a scheme that easily reflects the status based on our current
policy. Something like pass,fail or compliance % - just brainstorming here

We've always done tests based on what we can actually measure.  We try to represent findings in terms that clearly
articulate what we measured.  As far as methodologies that we've seen, evaluated, and used, I have had the best
practical results by using the Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual (www.OSSTMM.org) from the Institute for
Security and Open Methodologies (www.ISECOM.org).

Robert

--